Yesterday was my birthday... I turned the big 4-0!!! For this milestone birthday I wanted to do something different. I wanted to do something for others, and for my community. After reading a blog post in which a birthday girl did one random act of kindness per year old, I knew what I wanted to do!!!
Instead of one marathon session of kindness, I decided to break it up into four days, and do 10 acts of service a day. Yesterday was Day 1. Yesterday I...
1) Bought a $20 gift card at Chili's and gave it to an elderly gentleman dining alone.
2) Hosted a giveaway on Facebook.
3) Donated $20 to the Houston area Woman's center on behalf of my dear friend Aly.
4) Taped dollar bills to random toys in the toy section of the dollar tree.
5) Paid for the next customer at the drive through's lunch.
6) Called my favorite fast food restaurant (they have great sweet tea), asked to talk to a manager, and complimented her employees.
7) Taped money to a redbox with a sign that said, "watch a movie on me"
8) Picked my neighbor's trash can up from the curb.
9) Baked cookies for a friend.
10) Taped "take what you need" signs (pictured) to the mailboxes.
Overall it was a lot of fun!!!! The one that stands out to me the most is the elderly gentleman I gave the gift card to. As I was fumbling around trying to explain what I was doing, he simply said to me. "You want to be a blessing to others on your birthday. God bless you for that". He went on to say what a blessing it was to him. I admit to getting a little choked up. Hopefully my small acts of kindness gave people a little pick me up, and maybe inspired them to be kind to others.
Today I have a whole new to-do list!! I'll share how that one turns out with you tomorrow!!!!!